Saturday, March 14, 2009

Radio Mount for Triumph TR4

It has been a while since I started this project. I wanted to put a DIN mount radio where the original radio mounts. As with all the other modifications - it has to be reversible. So time to make a new mounting bracket and cut a hole out of it for the radio. Nah - never quite that simple. I also found out that when I drive the car without the brace installed I see significant movement between the dash and the transmission tunnel which means this bracket provides some rigidity for the body in addition to providing a place to mount the radio.

One of the guys on the Scions of Lucas mailing list sent me a drawing for the standard radio mount for a TR4. I made a full scale paper printout of it and it matched up quite well to the existing mount. I took the outline of the radio and drew it on to the paper - it was slightly larger than original bracket. Not Gonna work as it is. I needed to add some metal the the bracket to keep it reasonably strong.

Final solution is in the pics attached. I widened the mount and played with mounting hole dimensions and mounting hardware to get it to fit. Original bracket to dash mounting bolt heads were too tall and would not allow for radio frame to slide in the hole, so they were replaced with a low profile pan head fastener . Original fasteners were used for bracket to tunnel brace.