Saturday, March 14, 2009

LED Lighitng Options


I've been building a patio off and on over the last 2 years. The project changed over that period and I decided to make concrete columns (I'll cover that in another entry). Then came with the problem of what to do with the columns?






First idea was to use simple 12V landscape ligating and have a small down light on the face of each column. Then I saw that a guy in Japan (of all places) put a single glass block in the side of his pizza oven stand. -- from that picture came the idea of using glass block to face the columns . This produced the need for some kind of internal lighting . I've caught the LED bug from my brother in law and found some great flexible strips with RGB LEDs mounted on them. After some experimentation I wrapped lengths around PVC pipe and will center them in each column. Here is a video of a much faster than normal color transition inside the column at night. It should look really nice out there. Next - synch the colors to the music!!!





Update - glass block is installed and lighting is in place.  I'll post a pic soon of all columns lit up!

No comments: