Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Alternator conversion



The conversion went very well. I combed all the web and archive resources I could and hopefully pulled the best of the resources together (INMHO) to my advantage. I had a lot of help from many folks. Thank you all!!!

Some folks remove the rear alternator bracket all together and use only the ear that comes from the engine. I was afraid the front mount alone would evenutally fail and went with the bracket and pipe spacer approach.

My front mounting bolt had not been exactly tight and it wollowed out the front holes considerably. I cut down a bronze bushing to make up for the slack before I inserted the 3/8 x 7 inch bolt.

I also cut a 4 inch piece of 3/8 inch pipe for the spacer. I had to put the assy in as pictured in order to get the bolt through the bracket. Slide the bolt back to the exhaust manifold as far as you can when putting the alternator in.

I cut the spacer off of the alternator (asked for a 1978 305 cu in Camaro alternator) about the distance recommended. I thought it was a bit more than I needed but I felt I could always shim with a washer or two. Which is exactly what I did.

No comments: